Justin.tv is a thriving community where our members can express themselves, reach out to new friends and keep in touch with current friends. Keeping yourself safe online while using social sites like Justin.tv is important. Here are some common sense guidelines that you should remember when using Justin.tv:
- Your profile and channel is public.Don't make anything public that you wouldn't want everyone on the internet to know (e.g., your phone number, address, IM screen names, or specific whereabouts). Avoid giving up any information that would make it easy for a stranger to find you. It is very easy to piece together information to do web searches to find out more information about a person.
- People aren't always who they say they are.Be mindful when adding new people to your friends list. Justin.tv is a great place to make new friends from around the world, but avoid meeting people in person whom you don't really know.
- Don't post anything that would embarrass you later.Remember anything you post might not be seen only by your friends, the truth is everyone can see it. Be mindful of what you are putting up on Justin.tv. Don't put anything up that you wouldn't want your parents, potential employers, colleges or boss to see.
- Don't pretend to be older or younger than you really are. Honesty is the best policy and can keep you out of trouble in the long run.
- Private Channels: When you add an access code to your channel it becomes private. Only those who you have given the access code to will be able to view your channel. You can turn this on while logged on at the Settings, Channel Info menu.
- Banned Words:There are a lot of features offered to help you keep your chat clean. From the Chat tab in your settings. You can ban words which you find offensive or select to ban the most commonly banned words around Justin.tv. From this area you are able to turn showing links off in your chat and see chatters who you have banned from your rooms.
- Block Messages: You can choose to block messages from anyone that is not your friend.
- Chat Moderation:With our chat moderation tools you can have moderators, ignore users, ban users, use slow mode and friends only chat. (Read our chatguide for help using these features!)
You can learn more about how to keep yourself safe on the internet as well as get some additional tips from some of these resources: